Understanding the Lake Charles, LA Housing Landscape
Strongly considering a home purchase in Lake Charles? Great idea! You've chosen an energetic city with a dynamic selection of businesses, schools, restaurants and parks, and we're here to help make your home purchase and move a little easier. We serve 3.8 million customers nationwide and know the Lake Charles housing market well.
Lake Charles's amazing growth has made it a great place to live. But on the flip side, the growth has also led to a shortage of cheaper homes. Sustained cultural expansion and economic growth have helped to beckon entrepreneurs, retirees, and new graduates to the Lake Charles area, but that much change also highlights the need for better infrastructure, larger schools, and a more diverse housing market. Even so, Lake Charles and its neighboring areas still offer an array of home styles and prices. You can find duplexes, single-family homes, townhomes, condos, and (ideally) your perfect home! When looking to buy a house in Lake Charles, double check that you're factoring in the home's distance from your daily activities. If possible, test drive your trip from the house to work, school, and the grocery store. Your house's location will affect everything, from your morning routine to how you spend your evenings. Traveling around Lake Charles will also give you an idea of why homes in west Lake Charles are priced differently than homes in east Lake Charles, what the communities are like, and where to find Lake Charles's coolest attractions.
You're ready to buy a house in Lake Charles, but is your bank account? Contact a Mr. Cooper Mortgage Professional if you're unsure of your answer. We believe in keeping the dream of homeownership alive and try our best to make the journey easier and more rewarding. You could choose to buy a home in Louisiana or elsewhere. We help new and experienced homeowners alike. Walk through the following steps to help you figure out if your finances are in the right place to buy a house in Lake Charles.
First, estimate how much house you can afford. This will help determine the price range for your Lake Charles house hunt. Then, jot down your potential monthly payments (including property taxes, insurance, home repairs, homeowners association fees, etc.). No need to have an exact amount. Everyone's situation will differ, but a quick online search for average expenses in Lake Charles will usually point you in the right direction. Keep in mind that your monthly mortgage payment could make up the bulk of your monthly home expenses.
Now, figure out what a realistic down payment would be for you. Putting at least 20% down will boost your odds of getting a good rate and will allow you to avoid private mortgage insurance (PMI). Even so, the required down payment will depend on the type of loan you get. This is where getting prequalified for a mortgage comes in handy. Prequalification points you in the right direction as far as how much you may be eligible to borrow. Also, consider your credit profile. Credit history is an important part of your mortgage application. The healthier your credit is, the more mortgage options you may have open to you— and more options are always good!
Move Up and Out: Buying Your Dream House in Lake Charles, LA
While moving is a universal experience, it remains one of the top stressors that a person can experience in life. But moving can also be incredibly rewarding, especially when you get to live in an amazing city like Lake Charles. Contact Mr. Cooper as you prepare to buy a house in Lake Charles. We're here for you from start to finish and Mr. Cooper® Real Estate Rewards can even connect you with a high-performing real estate agent who may be able to help you save thousands.*
- Buyer’s Bonus Credit is not available in AK, IA, KS, LA, MS, MO, OK, OR & TN.
- ** Listing Commission Disclosure: Mr. Cooper Real Estate Rewards agents have agreed to 1.99% seller’s agent commission and recommend 2% buyer’s agent commission for a total listing commission of 3.99%. Buyer’s agent commission can be changed at seller’s discretion.
- Mr. Cooper Real Estate Rewards is offered by Xome. Inc., an affiliate of Mr. Cooper. Referrals to Xome may provide a financial benefit to Mr. Cooper. You are not required to use a real estate agent on the Xome panel as a condition of receiving a loan from Mr. Cooper, and such use will have no impact on any loan application to Mr. Cooper.
- This is an advertisement and not intended as a solicitation for agent representation if your property is currently listed with an agent. Visit Xome's licensing page https://www.xome.com/auctions/licensing.
- Xome Inc. & Xome CT LLC [Davis E. Owen, Sr.‐Broker] (for CT properties] & Xome PR LLC (for PR properties), 750 Hwy 121 BYP, Suite 100, Lewisville, TX 75067.
- Mr. Cooper Real Estate Rewards is a service mark of Nationstar Mortgage LLC.
- This is not a commitment to lend. All loans are subject to credit and property approval. This offer is nontransferable and may not be combined with any other mortgage offer. Advertised offer is subject to change. If a personal code is present on the advertised offer, you must provide such code to claim the offer. We may gather information about you including, but not limited to, credit bureau information, information for verification of income, information for appraisal and verification of property being used for collateral. We also verify your identity. Income, assets, and debt must meet eligibility requirements as established by Government and/or Lender guidelines.