Understanding the Wichita, KS Housing Landscape
Ready to lay down some roots and buy a house in Wichita? Congratulations! You've chosen a vibrant city with a dynamic selection of parks, businesses, and educational opportunities, and we're here to help the home purchase process go a little smoother. We support 3.8 million customers across the country and have the inside scoop on Wichita's housing scene.
Given all of Kansas's growth, Wichita homes aren't always easy to find at a comfortable price. Continued cultural expansion and economic growth have helped to entice retirees, new businesses, and young families to the Wichita area, but so much change also means a strain on housing options, school capacities, and city roads. That said, Wichita and its nearby areas still offer a variety of home types and prices. You can find townhomes, condos, single-family homes, duplexes, and (ideally) your perfect home! When buying a home in Wichita, double check that you're factoring in the home's distance from your daily activities. If you can, drive the route you'd take from the house to your school, office, and favorite hangout spot. Your home's location will influence almost every aspect of your life. Traveling around Wichita will also give you an idea of why homes in west Wichita are priced differently than homes in east Wichita, what the communities are like, and where to find Wichita's coolest attractions.
Are your finances in the right place to buy a home in Wichita? Reach out to a Mr. Cooper Mortgage Professional if you don't know how to go about answering that question. We think the dream of homeownership should never fade and work to make every stage of the journey more enjoyable and less worrisome. You could choose to buy a home in Kansas or elsewhere. We serve experienced homeowners and first-time homeowners alike. Start with the following steps to help you see if you're in a good financial position to buy a house in Wichita.
First, estimate how much house you can afford. This will help you narrow your search when house hunting in Wichita. After that, jot down your potential monthly payments (including property taxes, insurance, home repairs, homeowners association fees, etc.). It's okay if these numbers are educated guesses. While everyone's situation is different, an online search for Wichita averages will usually give you some solid estimates. Keep in mind that a mortgage payment could make up the majority of most homeowners’ monthly household expenses.
Now, figure out what a realistic down payment would be for you. Putting at least 20% down will boost your chances of getting a favorable rate and will allow you to avoid private mortgage insurance (PMI). Even so, down payment requirements can differ depending on the loan type. Here's where it can help to get prequalified for a mortgage. Getting prequalified helps you know how much you might be eligible to borrow from a lender. Also, consider your credit profile. Credit history is one of the main factors that lenders look at when considering your mortgage application. The better your credit is, the more mortgage options you may be presented with— and more options are always good!
Move Up and Out: Buying Your Dream House in Wichita, KS
While moving is a universal experience, it remains one of the top stressors that a person can experience in life. But when you get to live in a stellar city like Wichita, moving doesn't seem so challenging. Contact Mr. Cooper as you get ready to buy a house in Wichita. We're here for you every step of the way and Mr. Cooper® Real Estate Rewards can even connect you with a top-performing real estate agent who can potentially save you thousands.*
- Buyer’s Bonus Credit is not available in AK, IA, KS, LA, MS, MO, OK, OR & TN.
- ** Listing Commission Disclosure: Mr. Cooper Real Estate Rewards agents have agreed to 1.99% seller’s agent commission and recommend 2% buyer’s agent commission for a total listing commission of 3.99%. Buyer’s agent commission can be changed at seller’s discretion.
- Mr. Cooper Real Estate Rewards is offered by Xome. Inc., an affiliate of Mr. Cooper. Referrals to Xome may provide a financial benefit to Mr. Cooper. You are not required to use a real estate agent on the Xome panel as a condition of receiving a loan from Mr. Cooper, and such use will have no impact on any loan application to Mr. Cooper.
- This is an advertisement and not intended as a solicitation for agent representation if your property is currently listed with an agent. Visit Xome's licensing page https://www.xome.com/auctions/licensing.
- Xome Inc. & Xome CT LLC [Davis E. Owen, Sr.‐Broker] (for CT properties] & Xome PR LLC (for PR properties), 750 Hwy 121 BYP, Suite 100, Lewisville, TX 75067.
- Mr. Cooper Real Estate Rewards is a service mark of Nationstar Mortgage LLC.
- This is not a commitment to lend. All loans are subject to credit and property approval. This offer is nontransferable and may not be combined with any other mortgage offer. Advertised offer is subject to change. If a personal code is present on the advertised offer, you must provide such code to claim the offer. We may gather information about you including, but not limited to, credit bureau information, information for verification of income, information for appraisal and verification of property being used for collateral. We also verify your identity. Income, assets, and debt must meet eligibility requirements as established by Government and/or Lender guidelines.