Understanding the Helena, MT Housing Landscape
Strongly considering a home purchase in Helena? Smart move! You selected a lively city with a great balance of businesses, schools, restaurants and parks, and we're here to help the home purchase process go a little smoother. We serve 3.8 million customers across the country and are familiar with the ins-and-outs of the Helena housing market.
Given all of Montana's growth, Helena homes aren't always easy to find at a comfortable price. Ongoing support for local businesses and cultural growth have helped to entice young families, new businesses, and retirees to the Helena area, but so much change also means a strain on housing options, school capacities, and city roads. That said, Helena and the surrounding areas still offer a wide range of home types and prices. You can find townhomes, condos, single-family homes, duplexes, and (ideally) your perfect home! When buying a home in Helena, consider the home's location in relation to your everyday activities. If possible, drive the route you'd take from the house to your school, office, and favorite hangout spot. The location of your house will impact virtually every part of your life. Traveling around Helena will also give you an idea of why homes in west Helena are priced differently than homes in east Helena, what the communities are like, and where to find Helena's coolest attractions.
Are you financially prepared to buy a house in Helena? Reach out to a Mr. Cooper Mortgage Professional if you don't know how to go about answering that question. We believe in keeping the dream of homeownership alive and work to make every stage of the journey more enjoyable and less worrisome. You don't even have to stick with your decision to buy a house in Helena. We serve experienced homeowners and first-time homeowners alike. Walk through the following steps to help you determine if you're financially ready to buy a home in Helena.
Before anything else, estimate how much house you can afford. This will help determine the price range for your Helena house hunt. Then, jot down your potential monthly payments (including property taxes, insurance, home repairs, homeowners association fees, etc.). You don't need an exact amount for these expenses. Searching the web for Helena averages will usually give you a solid estimate, though everyone's situation is different. Keep in mind that a mortgage payment could make up the majority of most homeowners’ monthly household expenses.
Then, look at how much money you can put toward a down payment. Putting at least 20% down will improve your odds of getting a good rate and will allow you to avoid private mortgage insurance (PMI). That said, the required down payment will depend on the type of loan you get. This is where getting prequalified for a mortgage comes in handy. Getting prequalified will give you an idea of how much you might qualify to borrow. Also, check your credit. Credit history is an important part of your mortgage application. The better your credit is, the more mortgage options you may be presented with— and options are always a good thing!
It's Go Time! Buy a House in Helena, MT
While moving is a universal experience, it remains one of the top stressors that a person can experience in life. But moving feels more rewarding when you get to live in a place like Helena. Contact Mr. Cooper as you get ready to buy a house in Helena. We're here to help you along the way and Mr. Cooper® Real Estate Rewards can even connect you with a top-performing real estate agent who can potentially save you thousands.*
- Buyer’s Bonus Credit is not available in AK, IA, KS, LA, MS, MO, OK, OR & TN.
- ** Listing Commission Disclosure: Mr. Cooper Real Estate Rewards agents have agreed to 1.99% seller’s agent commission and recommend 2% buyer’s agent commission for a total listing commission of 3.99%. Buyer’s agent commission can be changed at seller’s discretion.
- Mr. Cooper Real Estate Rewards is offered by Xome. Inc., an affiliate of Mr. Cooper. Referrals to Xome may provide a financial benefit to Mr. Cooper. You are not required to use a real estate agent on the Xome panel as a condition of receiving a loan from Mr. Cooper, and such use will have no impact on any loan application to Mr. Cooper.
- This is an advertisement and not intended as a solicitation for agent representation if your property is currently listed with an agent. Visit Xome's licensing page https://www.xome.com/auctions/licensing.
- Xome Inc. & Xome CT LLC [Davis E. Owen, Sr.‐Broker] (for CT properties] & Xome PR LLC (for PR properties), 750 Hwy 121 BYP, Suite 100, Lewisville, TX 75067.
- Mr. Cooper Real Estate Rewards is a service mark of Nationstar Mortgage LLC.
- This is not a commitment to lend. All loans are subject to credit and property approval. This offer is nontransferable and may not be combined with any other mortgage offer. Advertised offer is subject to change. If a personal code is present on the advertised offer, you must provide such code to claim the offer. We may gather information about you including, but not limited to, credit bureau information, information for verification of income, information for appraisal and verification of property being used for collateral. We also verify your identity. Income, assets, and debt must meet eligibility requirements as established by Government and/or Lender guidelines.